Wednesday, September 24, 2008

caps for viking chain

Well, it took an entire morning of trial and error, but I figured out how I wanted to cap off the ends of the viking knit chain I made. I had a really good time, trying different things. I tried cutting wedges out of disks of copper, and then trying to fold the copper into a lampshade shape, but that wasn't feasible. I couldn't get the seams to meet evenly so I could solder it together. I finally soldered a small copper disk into the end of a piece of tubing, and drilled a small hole through the end. I know I could have just ordered some cones from my supplier, and called it a day, but I really want to be able to say that I make all my components myself. I did add a small purchased daisy spacer bead at the top to add a little flair. I don't think I will be making spacer beads any time soon (I am obsessive but not quite to that extreme, yet).
My sister, Abbi, had picked me up some very interesting beads before she left California. This is one that I wrapped, but didn't know what to hang it from. That mystery has been solved, but I have to tear it apart because I realized after I had wrapped it, that the fine wire I was using was copper colored, not actually copper, and therefore won't antique like the rest of the wire used. It is hard to tell from the picture, but the wire that has been woven around, is much brighter than the rest of the wire after I antiqued it.
My obsessive personality does not allow me to fully enjoy this pendant because of the wire situation, nor will it allow me to sell it, because it is made from some kind of mystery wire, and that shit does not fly with me. So, I'll redo it, and be happy. I have to say, I really enjoy making the chain. It is very soothing work that does not require full attention. THis makes it the perfect busy work to do while watching TV. It also keeps me from compulsively picking at my cuticles. I am experimenting with the number of "columns" (for lack of the technical term), increasing them from four to five, and also with doubling the stitch to create a more dense stitch. After I figure out how much they cost me to make, I can decide if I will try to sell them, or if they will just be for special (you know who you are).
Sunday, we went to the Gants-Bengals game. I have never wished for a cloud like I did that day. Holy cow, the sun was so strong, and I could not escape it. I taught our friend Sue the term "swamp-ass", which we realized was not a true description of what we had, because sweat was pooling in places. Thus, for this occasion, "lake-ass" was born. By the way, this picture is the NFL endorsed salt'n'pepper shakers that Sue found for Scotto in her travels. Sue can find Giants paraphanalia like no one else. In her previous home, her husband had a Giants themed bathroom. It was quite a sight to behold. Apparently last year during Superbowl, she awed and impressed her neighbors with the quantity 0f G-men shit that she hauled out of her seemingly normal home.

Well, I think that is all for now. Make it a wonderful day.

1 comment:

  1. Nice work! ALso nice to know someone else picks their cuticles when their hands are not otherwise occupied! I have just started working with the knitted wire and am having fun coming up with ways to use it. I am a member of a small Norse-based reenactment club in New Zealand and our Captain has been looking for some fine wire chain or similar to weave or couch onto trim for his garments. Thought this might work if made with light enough wire and single knit. Thanks for the idea for the end caps too. M.